Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Baking Day

So today was baking day! I've wanted to attempt to make Lion House Rolls for the longest time. Today, I finally did! Okay, the first pan of them had problems. I made two different batches. Each batch took two sheets. On the first batch we did the quick rise method by putting the dough in the oven to rise with a pan of warm water and the oven having been warmed up. After rising and then being rolled out...we put one tray back in the oven to rise and one on the table. Well, the one in the oven really swelled and the saran wrap stuck to it and so our first pan of Lion House Rolls are more like Lion House crackers! I think they still taste good!This is another sheet of them before they started to rise!
This is the finished project! We only lost one half of a batch to crackers. I think they'll taste good with soup or as turkey sandwich bread!
I was so happy the rest of the first batch and the second batch actually look, more or less, like the real Lion House rolls! They sure smell good. We've only tasted the "crackers!" I'll let you know how they taste tomorrow.
One batch only make 12 to 18 rolls! That's why we made two batches! The second batch we just let rise normally and it did swell! ha ha ha!
I thought you might like to see one up close!
I can't wait to sink my teeth into this tomorrow!
I also made pies! Two pumpkin and one lemon minus the meringue. I hate meringue! Patricia brought a frozen dutch apple pie last week so we cooked it up too!
We had a slight problem with pie dough. I used to make great crust, but I decided to use the recipe that came with the kitchen aid mixer. It turned out horrible...so we threw it away and ran to the store and Poppin' Fresh saved the day with Pillsbury pie crust! I haven't made pies in forever. Last time I bought Pillsbury pie crust it was folded in quarters and there were always thin spots where it had been folded. They got smart and now it's rolled! It's not the tastiest crust, but I like the pie filling and whip cream the best!!!!
We have everything chopped for the morning. That way we just have to wake up and cook! The Turkey has been bathing all day! He was frozen! Eddie, the former Meat Cutter, says frozen turkeys are fresher than fresh turkeys! If we had a zuccuzzi we would have soaked him in it with the jets running! It would make for great pictures!!! Hopefully we'll take pictures tomorrow and entertain you with our Thanksgiving Feast!

No comments: