Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Pageant of the Masters

So after months and years of torturing Eddie with Musicals and concerts, last night he introduced me to his cultural side! He took me to the Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach. He's been several times with his family.
It was so cool!
This is the poster advertising it!
The bottom picture up there is of The Spirit of History, Science and Art. It was amazing!
The ampitheater is actually quite small. We had great seats...thanks Michael and Kathleen! We were in the 10th row on the aisle. We had rented binoculars, but really didn't need them.
When you walk into the Festival of Arts, they had a miniture sculpture of this "Olympic Spirit," I loved it. We've been watching so much of the Olympics it was cool to see this sculpture, even if it was a much smaller version than the one in Bejing. I was really happy that it was one of the sculptures in the pageant. Although I had to giggle. The "models" weren't quite as svelt! The female model was down right chunky! Let's hear it for the big girls!!! Woo Hoo! There were so many great paintings and sculptures that were done. I loved when they showed how they were put together. It was amazing! If you've never been and you like art, this is definately a place to go...at least once. The tickets are a bit pricey, but it was worth it.
Before the pageant we went to the Sawdust Festival down the street. It's another place for artists to display and sell their work. There was a glass blower who was interesting to watch. Just fascinating stuff.
At the Festival of Art, we loved looking at the school children's art! What fun! Quite good artist too. They range in grades from Kindergarten to High School. They were so good!
After looking at all this art, I have decided I'm mostly drawn to seascapes, clouds and palm tree paintings. Black and white photography is really cool too. There are some really creative people out there who make art out of the most interesting things. The copper pipe was very interesting as was the wooden clothespin piece of work.
We loved some interesting clocks! I can't even describe them. They were very cool though.
The pageant always ends with Da Vinci's 'The Last Supper."

It was a fascinating evening! We will definately go again!

4 comments:

Forest said...

I guess I really don't know the Plummers as well as I thought. When you said Eddie was going to share his culture with you I thought you would be going to a car race or something.

Sandy Plummer said...

Yes, he's shared that side of his culture with me too. He took me to Winternationals in 2007! I found it entertaining, but he thinks I'm just trying to be nice! I guess his parents are the ones who started going to Pageant of the Masters and taking the family and his sister has continued the tradition.

Stacey said...

I cant belive that you got to go! My parents used to go every year and Grandma and Grandpa would go too. Then one year Matt and I were deamed 'old enough' to go and we went with Aunt Suzie, Uncle Rick and his parents. It was really cool but I think that we were still a bit too young to really enjoy it. Hopefully one day I will make it back- glad you enjoyed it! - Stacey

Sandy Plummer said...

Wow! Good to hear from you! Do you have an e-mail address? It would nice to keep in touch with you!!!!