Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Spaghetti Sauce

Yesterday I had tomatoes coming out of my ears! I needed to do something with them. I've had a hard time finding recipes that use home grown tomatoes in them. Or I find them, but they also want you to put canned tomato paste in them. What's up with that? If you want to make something with "fresh" tomatoes, why would you want to use a "canned" product in it. I guess I should find a recipe for tomato paste! Anyway, I spent a good chunk of time chopping and preparing everything for the sauce. I was excited that this recipe also called for fresh basil and parsley. I have both of those in the garden too. The recipe called for 10 pounds of tomatoes. Well, the only scale we have you have to put your feet on the feet marks for it weigh anything. So, I jumped on the scale and then I held a bowl of tomatoes and figured out how many tomatoes I needed. I needed two bowls full of tomatoes. The house smelled really good! It was a few hours on the stove top and then I wasn't real excited with the taste. It wasn't quite right. Eddie got home from work, but we all know he doesn't "do vegetables." He kinda tasted a finger tip of it. (From a spoon!) I gave my mom a taste. Of course she said it needed salt, because she thinks everything needs salt and she's not supposed to have salt! I did add salt. I normally don't cook with salt, but I threw a bit in. I cooked up some ground beef and Eddie thought I should throw in some left over vegetables from the shish-kabobs this weekend. So he chopped up the red, yellow and orange peppers and a zucchini we had. I threw those in with the meat. Cooked it all up, cooked the pasta and threw it all together. I still wasn't sure about it so I threw grated parmesan and mozzarella cheese on top. That will cure a thousand tastes! I took it to the ward picnic last night.....and it was DE-LI-CIOUS!!!!! I still have 8 cups of sauce in the refridgerator. The recipe says to put the extra in Ziploc bags...freeze flat and then stand up like envelopes. I may do that. I'll also see if Teddy needs dinner tonight. If so...she'll get pasta! I'll have to go get some peppers and maybe some Italian sausage!!! mmm good! Now I'm hungry. I guess it's time for breakfast!

2 comments:

Maly and Dan said...

1 1/2 lbs bow tie pasta
2-3 tsp crushed red pepper
6 tsp corn oil
3/4 Cup sesame oil
9 Tbs honey
7 1/2 Tbs soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 Cup cilantro
3/4 Cup green onions
to taste; honey roasted peanuts and sesame seed.

1. Cook pasta and drain.
2. Combine red pepper and oils together and heat on stove for 2 minutes. then add honey, soy sauce, and salt.
3. Combine mixture with cooked pasta and let marinate in fridge over night.
4. Before serving add cilantro, green onions, peanuts and sesame seeds.

Freth Stifter said...

Great recipe!

Eddie did a great job installing the A/C in the window at Oma's.

It seems Abby is the only one doing regular updates anymore ... the rest of us are too caught up in just living from day to day ... without making comments.

What happened to the skunks??