Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A Tribute to Yoda!









Today, Eddie and I were watching Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith. The original trilogy is still better than the others, but you do get to see more of Yoda. He was nicer in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi though.



Yoda is probably my favorite Star Wars character. He's cute and loveable in the originals and he's fiesty and wise in the newer ones.

I heard a faith promoting rumor once that when George Lucas was coming up with the character of Yoda, he asked someone who the wisest man in the world was at the time and this person told him, "Spencer W. Kimball." Granted at the time of Star Wars, President Kimball was the President of the Church, but I really doubted this story. I did see a resemblance though.



Sometime in the 90's when my nieces and nephews were watching Empire Strikes Back, I told them that Pres. Kimball was the model for Yoda. They didn't believe me so I grabbed "The Biography of Spencer W. Kimball" off their book shelf and held it next to the TV when Yoda was on. It was hilarious. Their eyes got very big!!!!











Of course if you google Yoda you will find out that President Kimball was not the model for Yoda. Yoda was created mostly to look like the make-up artist, Stuart Freeborn, who invented him and Albert Einstein.













This is Stuart Freeborn and he does look like Yoda!!!!
I still think Yoda looks like Pres. Kimball and he was the wisest man in the world when Empire Strikes Back was made.

3 comments:

Forest said...

Nice write up. I like Star Wars a lot too and agree with you that the "originals" are better than the newer ones. George Lucas always talks about how he wanted the world of Star Wars to be realistic so that the audience would just focus on the story.

Yet in the newer ones it seems like some of the humor makes it less realistic.

Thanks for debunking the Yoda/President Kimball myth. I also heard that one of the writers for Battlestar Galatica was a mormon. Myth or truth?

FoxFamily said...

I agree with the Spencer W. Kimball thing. Nice new "I've been chosen" sidebar picture! You sure have been busy!! I love reading your blog Dee!

Sandy Plummer said...

Forest: Glen Larson is LDS and the creator/writer of the original Battlestar Galactica. It used to be fun to watch that to see what Mormonisms he'd throw in!