Monday, July 14, 2008

What Stinks?

So Eddie tells me last Wednesday night, "I think something died in the garage?" I was so thrilled to hear this! He opened the garage door, took me outside and WOW! What a smell! He said, we'd figure out what died in the morning. Nice way to get a good night sleep huh?! So the next morning we opened the garage and he was walking here and there in it, trying to figure out what was smelling so bad. I told him it reminded me of my grandma's house....gas leak! When we'd leave the garage door open for awhile, the stink would move out 2 or 3 feet! So we called the gas company they said they'd send someone out between the time I called and 8pm. I guess we're staying home today! So, while we waited for them we would go out and smell every now and then to see if we could figure out where it was coming from. We didn't. It would be in one spot and then another. It was a very tricky stink! The Gas Co. showed up around 1:30pm. They did find a gas leak, a small one. He fixed it, but it wasn't causing the horrid smell. By this time, my mom was at dialysis, I had a headache from inhaling the stink and so Eddie took me out for ice cream! I gave up Coke on June 1st. (I was really proud of having gone this long without a caffeine binge, except for the occasional chocolate, which I'm not addicted to, like I was Coke.) My head was feeling so bad, I was really thinking, you DESERVE a coke! Plus! He was taking me to Ruby's Diner! They have de-li-cious Vanilla Cokes! I was so talking myself into the Vanilla Coke. Thankfully, when we got to Ruby's Diner they handed us a little menu with their shakes of the month! It's all about Chocolate! I ended up with a Chocolate Banana Shake! Delicious! So, I still haven't had a coke in 44 days! Woo Hoo! No more altered state of reality for me. It's kinda funny now that I've been off it, I realize how much it does mask alot of .... senses let say!!!! Oh, so sorry, I have gone on a coke tangent! Back to what died in the garage.... So, we decide that the next morning we will pull EVERYTHING out of the garage to find out what died. We woke up the next morning very much not looking forward to hauling EVERYTHING out of the garage. So, I told Eddie just get the Miracle Grow out and we'll see if that helps! He kept saying that the stink was organic and it had to be the fertilizer! So he filled up his lovely wheel barrow (see other blog!) and that didn't help the stink, but it was keeping it in one place!!! We smelled the back corner...no stink there. We smelled by the dryer....no stink there. We walked past the work bench! YUK! Stink!!! There was a big red tub that had "stuff" in it, and then more "stuff" piled on it! I bent over and took a whiff! What a mistake! I found the STINK! So I ran and Eddie pulled the red tub out and went through it. There in the bottom of the tub was an OLD GLASS bottle of MALATHION!!! INSECT POISON!!!!! I now feel sorry for bugs! So, Eddie did what only a guy could do, he wrapped it in a couple grocery bags and DUCT TAPE! I provided a box we stuck it in and then we put it in a 5 gallon pail! Eddie seat belted it in the back seat of the car and we drove with all the windows opened to a Hazardous Waste place out past DI in Los Angeles and disposed of it!!!!! A few things lost their lives. A couple of Eddie's "work" shirts and the Red tub and who knows what else! Oh....the smell! So my advise to you is don't keep your old glass bottle of malathion around. It might tip over and eat a hole in the lid and kill you! Tomorrow is the 18th anniversary of my Dad's death. The malathion was one of his garden treasures we hadn't parted with, until Friday!!! Don't keep bug poison around for over 20 years!!!!!

1 comment:

Forest said...

I have to admit I was really disappointed when there was no dead possum at the end of your story. Of course, that you only described it as a bad stink instead of how you had fits of gagging should have tipped me off.